Sunday, September 12, 2010

First Race, OVER!

The Komen NYC Race for the Cure was outstanding!!  There were over 25,000 runners and walkers out today and it was just amazing how well this event was put together.  All of Central Park was energized! I was actually pretty intimidated by all the runners. There were SO many people there running in teams and I was there all alone.  John and Thomas came down but I left them by the finish line after we established a meet-up place. Of course John forgot his cell phone so we needed to make sure we knew where to meet.  It's amazing how anyone managed without cell phones!

After I left John and Thomas I made my way to the west side. I had a ton of time to kill so I sat on a bench for a while to people watch. I saw some porta-potties and noticed the line was a BLOCK long! So, I decided I better get in line.

I lined up for the race and stood there and listened to some celebrities (Steve Carell, Dr. Oz, etc) and politicians get everyone pumped up for the race and the fundraising efforts.
Front of the race!
Everyone lined up behind me
Finally the survivors and the elite runners began and 6 minutes later I was under the start line! The first mile was spent weaving in and out of people that were slower than me. Wait, slower? you ask? Well, yeah, slower because they were walking.  Before I knew it, I saw the big sign for the 1st mile! Awesome! I felt so good and so full of energy. I was shocked considering I had been standing around for an hour and a half before!

Sometime before the 2nd mile marker my legs started to feel a little heavy but the excitement just kept me going! I kept looking for John as I got closer to the finish line but I never saw him.  Major bummer. Oh well. I saw the finished and was so pumped! I felt so great! What a great event!

And the best part? I kicked some major butt on my time! My goal was to finish in under 35 minutes. My time? 30:10! Woot! WOOT!!!!

 Finally after waiting at the designated spot for about 25 minutes I saw John. He couldn't find me in the race and didn't think I'd finish as early as I did. So we got some pictures after:

There I am in the pink shirt with my boy Thomas. Apparently he didn't take any sort of nap in all that time they were waiting for me. As soon as we got in the car he fell fast asleep.  John dropped me off at home and took Thomas to his sister's house for a bit.  We're going to meet up at Chuck E Cheese for my friend's daughter's birthday party.

I enjoyed a nice bowl of cereal and a grilled cheese sandwich and will be stuffing my face full of pizza and cake shortly.

Ah, job well done, Nance. Did the race, got the t-shirt:
Nobody around to take my picture - self portrait

Just one day and one race closer to the big one in February!!

Workout: 5k
Time: 30:10 WOOT!
Next up: Dunno, I guess around 3 or 4 tomorrow depending on timing with Mommy & Me

1 comment:

  1. Whoo hooo!!! GREAT JOB! And best of all it sounds like you had a blast too!