Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ode to Chocolate Milk

So you know how I hate running? Yeah, well I still do. I'm basically trying to figure out different ways to keep me motivated. Like how I've made my dining reservations already for Disney's Princess Half Marathon. Nothing like massive amounts of promise food to get me to run! Whatever works, right? Before I get to my ADRs, I'll let you know what my day-to-day training motivation is:
Yep, that's right, chocolate milk.  I've been frequenting my favorite Disney online community and found a thread totally dedicated to the race in February! Woot! And there I found a great recommendation for a "recovery drink" after your runs....chocolate milk. Something about the perfect combination of carbs and proteins or some mumbo jumbo but really I stopped reading past the part where I read "Nancy is supposed to have chocolate milk after she runs." YES! I mean, sure, I can make chocolate milk any old time but I don't. When I was a kid I wasn't allowed any sweets (horrible, right??) so being able to have a glass of chocolate milk because I "deserve" it or "should" have it is just so perfect. A little strange perhaps but perfect!

So now just about every time I finish a run and have a moment to relax, I fix myself a lovely glass of chocolate milk.  And today? I DESERVED IT! I really wanted to skip my run today since it is so incredibly hot out. But instead, I worked it into my day. I got out much earlier than I normally would. As soon as Thomas was up for the morning and fed, we hit the street. I was sweating before I even finished putting my shoes on.

I ran those 3 laps of Maritime SLOWLY.  I forgot to check my time at the end but I'm sure it took at least 45 minutes to complete. Another motivator? The cadets now walking around Maritime College. They are all dressed in their uniforms and looking so cute! Aw! They are just kids all dressed up and serious looking! That's ok, they motivate me to keep going. One of those kind young boys even saluted Thomas and I as I huffed and puffed past him.  Bless his heart.

Let's talk Disney. My next trip is in 17 days and I can't wait! All my ADRs are set and we'll be eating at some great places! But the meals I'm really looking forward to are the ones that I'll have on the Princess Half Marathon weekend! Lauren and I are arriving on Friday and our dinner will be at Raglan Road Irish Pub in Downtown Disney.  I actually haven't been there before but hubby and I will be eating there on this next trip. And, well, it's an Irish Pub - awesome!  Saturday evening we'll be at Via Napoli in Epcot, the Italian pavilion's newest restaurant. I hear alot about carb-loading so I figure Italian would be a good pre-race meal! And finally, Biergarten for a post-race celebration meal!  Look, I have no idea if I'll even want to eat anything after the race (yeah, right, that felt ridiculous even typing it) but the beer sampler alone will be totally worth it! I made a 2pm lunch reservation.

I plan on eating and drinking a little something like this:
Beer, food, end of race...I love you so.

But for now, I'll thoroughly enjoy my glass of chocolate milk post workout!

Workout: 3.5 miles
Time: ~45 minutes
Weather: SO HOT
Next up: REST day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment